Thursday, April 30, 2009

Happiest Day

Finally!!!

It was the longest morning and the most anticipated afternoon for me. Why? Because this was the day that MY MAN would arrive from his country. And yes, finally the very, very long wait was over. :-)

At 6:oo in the morning, I received an SMS from him. He was already onboard. A wide smile suddenly came across my face. He was really coming. It was not a joke. He was really coming home!

I didn’t sleep the entire day. I kept glancing at the clock. I kept thinking of what he could he doing that moment; what could he be thinking. Could he be thinking of me all throughout the 11 hours that he was crossing the ocean? Wasn’t he also able to sleep because he couldn’t wait to see me? Did he also feel nervous for this first meeting?

I was also thinking what would be the best clothes to wear. I even had asked my friend, Hazel, if wearing a dress would be appropriate. But she said I had to keep it simple so as not to drive him to insanity, aheheh! I was also thinking how he would really look in person. How I would greet him. How I should smile at him. I should look my best because I want to make a good impression.

Minutes had turned to hours. It was as if the longest day that I had to endure. Even if I kept my self at ease at home, my mind was in a good state of wreck.

Excitement was an understatement. I was more than excited. I couldn’t describe how I felt when I left home to pick him up at the airport. I was like a little girl who would be going to the carnival for the first time. I wanted to run and take a ride quickly but I know I would trip because my head was in the sky. Looking at any airplane that passed by. Wondering if that plane was his plane.

On my way, I felt butterflies in my stomach. A lot of them. As much I tried to stay calm in front of people, my heart was really pounding. I was like a criminal who would be facing a judge in court and would be waiting for my verdict. I still kept looking at the time on my phone. Worried that something might happen to me along the way and would end up somewhere else. I remember his words that once he arrived and he didn’t see me in 3 hours, he would take the next flight back home. I couldn’t let that happen. Not now. Never.

When I arrived at the airport, the TV monitor gave me the biggest shock that day. It said that his plane had already arrived!!! “Whaaaat? I haven’t retouched my make up yet! Great!!”

Since I was alone, I had no one to share my excitement with. I had no one to tell me to fix my lipstick or to just say that I looked ok. The nervousness that I felt earlier felt greater. Almost telling me that I would faint. But no, I don’t want that scene. I don’t want our first meeting to be in the hospital instead of the airport.

As I paced my self back and forth the waiting area, I kept looking for his sign. I know I would notice him quickly. My heart would tell. But as each person went down the stairs the more that I grew impatient. It was like 30 minutes and counting but still no sign of him. The camera they had there didn’t help me because I wanted to look farther than what the screen showed.

Then I got a call. From a number I didn’t recognize. Though hesitant, I still picked up the phone. It was him!!!! It was MY MAN!!!

I walked past through the people as I find my way to him. Not withstanding the fact that the crowd was bigger than me. But my feet took me to the right direction. And I saw him waiting for me at the other end.

I didn’t jump to embrace him. I didn’t kiss him with the most passionate one. He didn’t carry me to kiss and hug me. No, it was not like the movies.

I really didn’t notice that I was already in front of him. My eyes immediately met his. And his smile met mine. As I looked in his eyes, my eyes tried to search deeper. Searching for what I have been wanting to know all this time. But his smile was so radiant. Almost telling me not to look further because he was here and that should answer my questions.

There was a far cry in my heart to let him know the joy I felt upon seeing him. That I could still not believe that he was here. That I really wanted to hug him tightly and thank him for just being there. But my longing to do so just ended with a touch in his arm. I was shy!!

But he didn’t spare a moment, he held my hand as if not letting go. It was the warmest touch that my hand had felt. It sent a sensation to my mind. And my mind just whispered to my heart and my heart pounded again. More than what it did earlier. This time it didn’t just pumped blood all over my body and it pumped love all throughout my veins.


I don’t know how I would measure the happiness I felt upon seeing him, for real. And every time I remember how that day went, I still couldn’t hide to draw a smile in my face even if I am alone. I always wanted to go back to that day. That day that I thought would just be a dream. That day that just turned out to be one of the happiest days of my life.

No comments: